What to expect?
Let’s cut straight to the chase. If you’ve never had a bikini wax before, the idea of dropping your pants in front of a stranger can feel a little daunting. We get it. Luckily, there’s no need to worry. Your experienced therapist has seen it all before, and in many cases you don’t even have to go completely commando (although comfy underwear is advised). All you need to do is leave your fears at the door and decide on which kind of bikini wax you’d like. Your options include a ‘Brazilian’, which leaves a landing strip of hair but nothing else, a classic ‘Bikini’, which is simply a tidy around your knicker line, and then the ‘Hollywood’, which is total hair removal, front, back, sides, you name it. Some salons also offer a ‘High Bikini’ or ‘G String’ wax and the clue is in the name.
The more you go, the weaker the root gets which means less hair and less pain. Win, win, win!
Now onto the treatment itself… you’ll be asked to lie down on a comfortable salon bed, before your therapist asks you to get in position and applies melted warm wax onto the desired area with a spatula. Using a strip of cloth, they’ll then press down for a few seconds and pull away in one quick movement. It’s that simple. Don’t be alarmed if your therapist goes round to your rear, too. This is all part of the process and, trust us, you’ll love the results!
Know before you go
- Many people worry about how painful a bikini wax truly is. We won’t lie and say it’s entirely painless, but you definitely get used to it over time and the results are well worth it.
- Speaking of pain, your therapist will apply a cooling aloe vera gel immediately after your treatment and you can expect any redness to die down shortly after.
- Ahead of your treatment, you can’t shave down there for at least five days or so. Why? Because your therapist needs some hair to work with, and if you’re totally bare, the wax has nothing to grab onto. For unrivalled results, your hair should be about the length of a grain of rice before waxing.
- Some salons say you should pass on any sexual or physical activity for 24 hours after your bikini wax (sigh!). This is to prevent any friction or irritation.
- Although it depends on how coarse your hair is or how quickly it grows back, most therapists recommend waiting around a month between waxing treatments.
- The more you go, the weaker the root gets which means less hair and less pain. Win, win, win!