From: Happy Food,
We can’t resist a delicious spicy and healthy dinner here at Wahanda, and we’ve got another lovely recipe from the team at British Onions to share with you. These stuffed onions are delicious with a crisp, green salad for a dinnertime treat, and the lamb mince can be swapped with beef mince if preferred. For a tasty vegetarian dinner, swap the meat for rice, couscous, or finely diced Mediterranean vegetables for a super-healthy option.
With a quick preparation time, these stuffed onions are perfect for when time is not on your side. As they roast in the oven, kick back and have a chill-out. Go on, we insist...
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
You will need:
1.Preheat the oven to 180°C/ fan oven 160°C, Gas mark 4
2. Place the onions on a chopping board and cut off the top of each onion. Use a small knife or spoon, remove the centre of each onion, keeping about 2-3 layers of the onion. Finely chop the removed onion.
3. Carefully trim the root end of each onion so they stand up and stand in an ovenproof dish.
4. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the chopped onion until beginning to soften. Add the mince and cook for a further 5-7 minutes or until the mince is brown. Drain any fat or liquid that may be in the pan. Return the mince and onion to the pan.
5. Add the spice and seasoning and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the sultanas, lemon zest, herbs and feta cheese.
7. Spoon the mince filling into each onion, packing tightly.
8. Pour the stock around the onions, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
9. Remove the foil and continue to cook uncovered for a further 20 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
10. Serve the roasted onions with a mixed salad and couscous.
For more advice on healthy eating, why not find a nutritionist in your local area – they’ll be able to put you on the right path.
It's easy enough to decide you want to eat well - the hard part is finding the right foods to keep you healthy and satisfy your tastebuds. The Treatwell Tasters have lots of food and drink ideas to have you looking good, feeling good and bursting with energy in no time. And no, they don't all involve wheatgrass.See my profile