No Christmas dinner would be complete without a good old Christmas pudding. Following on from recent recipes for bread sauce and stuffing, we’ve got another gluten free treat for you from Genius Foods. Make one of these for everyone and the brownie points are sure to last well into 2012...
Made with gluten free flour and Genius Gluten Free breadcrumbs, this pudding is lighter and moister than wheat-based alternatives. The recipe makes two 1 litre puddings, which can be stored for up to three months (if you can resist them that long...)
You will need:
1. In a large mixing bowl mix all the dried fruit, mixed peel, orange and lemon zest and spices together and soak overnight in the orange and lemon juice, cold tea and brandy or rum. Mix in the grated apple, chopped almonds, brown sugar and black treacle.
2. In another bowl, mix the butter, breadcrumbs, rice flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt together, then gradually beat in the eggs until the mixture is smooth. Stir into the soaked fruit mixture.
3. Spoon the mixture into two 1 litre pudding basins, greased with butter to two-thirds full, cover with greased greaseproof paper and foil, secured around the edge of the bowl with string. Steam for 8 hours, checking occasionally to top up with more water if necessary.
4. Remove the pudding basins from the pan and leave to cool. To store, cover the puddings with fresh greaseproof paper, foil, then cling film and place somewhere cool and dry.
5. On Christmas day, steam the puddings for a further six hours before serving.
Feeling full of festive spirit? We’ve got a whole page dedicated to Christmas deals and offers. Why not pop on Jingle Bells and have a browse?
Angharad is a writer with a special soft spot for blogging. She loves to try new things and believes that whilst beauty and well-being are extremely important, it's also vital to stay true to yourself. Follow her here on her quest to discover the health and beauty solutions that are right for her.See my profile